Nithin Mahendra Varma
Department of Computer Science
I am a fourth year PhD student working with Dr. Sofya Raskhodnikova in the Algorithms and Theory Group
at the Department of Computer Science, College of Arts and Sciences, Boston University. I am broadly interested in research in Algorithms, with a focus on Sublinear algorithms, Streaming algorithms and Graph algorithms.
I completed the first three years of my PhD (2014 - 2017) at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering in the Pennsylvania State University, advised by Dr. Sofya Raskhodnikova. Before joining Penn State, I completed my Master's degree (2011 - 2014) from the
School of Technology and Computer Science at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, India, where I worked with Dr. Kavitha Telikepalli. I obtained by B.Tech. degree (2007 - 2011) from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Calicut.
My most recent CV (last updated in January 2018) can be found here.
- Parameterized Property Testing of Functions.
Ramesh Krishnan S. Pallavoor, Sofya Raskhodnikova and Nithin Varma.
ACM Trans. Comput. Theory 9, 4, Article 17 (December 2017).
A preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of ITCS 2017, 12:1-12:17.
- Erasure-Resilient Property Testing.
Kashyap Dixit, Sofya Raskhodnikova, Abhradeep Thakurta and Nithin Varma.
Accepted to SIAM Journal of Computing.
A preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of ICALP 2016, 91:1-91:15.
- Small Stretch Pairwise Spanners and Approximate D-preservers.
Telikepalli Kavitha and Nithin M. Varma.
SIAM Journal of Discrete Math. 29(4): 2239-2254 (2015).
A preliminary version appeared in the Proceedings of ICALP (1) 2013: 601-612.
- Master's Thesis
Advisor: Dr. Kavitha Telikepalli
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rainbow connection number and connected dominating sets.
L. Sunil Chandran, Anita Das, Deepak Rajendraprasad and Nithin M. Varma.
In Journal of Graph Theory 71(2): 206-218 (2012).
A preliminary version appeared in the Electronic Notes in Discrete Maths 38: 239-244 (2011).
- Property Testing against Adversarial Erasures , January 2018 @ IIT Madras, India.
- Fast and Fault-Resilient Sublinear Algorithms , November 2017 @Boston University. (Slides)
- Tolerant Testing of Clustering, October 2017 @Algorithms and Theory Seminar, BU.
- Erasure-Resilient Property Testing in November 2016 @IBM Research, TJ Watson. (Slides)
- Erasure-Resilient Property Testing in July 2016 @ICALP 2016
- Erasure-Resilient Property Testing in June 2016 @HALG 2016
- Erasure-Resilient Property Testing in December 2015 @IISc, Bangalore and MSR India
- A recent breakthrough in Boolean hypercube monotonicity testing on February 20, 2015 @ CSE Theory Seminar, PSU
- Pairwise Additive Spanners on September 22, 2014 @ CSE Theory Seminar, PSU [Slides]
- Small Stretch Pairwise Spanners and D Spanners on April 25, 2014 @ Project Seminar, TIFR, Mumbai
- Small Stretch Pairwise Spanners on July 9, 2013 @ ICALP 2013, Riga
- Probabilistic Approximation of Metrics by Tree Metrics on May 17, 2013 @ Student Seminar, TIFR, Mumbai
- Bin Packing via Discrepancy of Permutations on March 18, 2013 @ Theory Reading Group, TIFR, Mumbai
- A Lower Bound for Additive Spanners on November 9, 2012 @ Student Seminar, TIFR, Mumbai
- A Randomised Linear Time Algorithm to find MSTs @ Course Seminar, TIFR, Mumbai
- Email : nvarma "at" bu.edu